Can Laser Gum Reshaping Treatment Improve Your Smile?
If you are self-conscious about the appearance of your gums, laser gum reshaping treatment may be right for you. Laser gum reshaping is a cosmetic dentistry treatment used to remove excess gum tissue to create an even gum line. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Byron J. Nordhus and find out if laser gum reshaping is right for you, contact our Wichita practice today.
What Is Laser Gum Reshaping Treatment?
Laser gum reshaping is a quick, nearly painless treatment that is designed to correct the gum line and improve the appearance of the smile. During laser gum reshaping treatment, the gums are numbed and a special dental laser is used to gently remove excess gum tissue and contour the gum line. Even though gum tissue removed during laser gum reshaping treatment, most patients find the procedure to be painless or minimally uncomfortable. This is because the dental laser produces minimal trauma to the tissue and cauterizes as it cuts, allowing for quick recovery and reduced risk of infection.
Recovery after Laser Gum Reshaping Treatment
Recovery after laser gum reshaping is generally short. Many patients are fully healed within a few days to a couple of weeks. Though any pain after treatment is typically mild, ibuprofen or Tylenol are generally sufficient for relieving discomfort. It should be noted that aspirin-based pain relievers are not recommended during recovery as they can increase bleeding. Patients will be given specific guidelines to follow after recovery. However, here are some tips to help with the healing process.
- Avoid crunchy foods: Hard, crunchy foods, like corn chips and taco shells, should be avoided during recovery because they can poke and irritate the gums.
- Avoid foods with seeds: Foods with small seeds or kernels should be avoided because they can become lodged between the teeth and gums and interfere with tissue healing.
- Don't skip brushing and flossing: Brushing and flossing should not be skipped during recovery because these practices remove plaque and bacteria, which can lead to gum infection.
- Use gentle pressure while brushing and flossing: Be sure to use gentle pressure while brushing and flossing to reduce irritation to the gums.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush: Switch to a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently brush the teeth.
- Rinse with warm salt water: Rinsing with warm salt water can help ease sore gums. In addition, salt water is a natural antiseptic.
Are You a Candidate for Laser Gum Reshaping Treatment?
You may be a candidate for laser gum reshaping treatment if you identify with one or more of the following issues:
- Uneven gum line
- Gummy smile
- Teeth that look too small due to excessive gum tissue
- Teeth that appear disproportionate due to gum line
- Reducing pockets caused by gum disease
Laser gum reshaping can also be used to lengthen the crowns of the teeth so veneers and other restorations fit properly.
Schedule a Consultation
Correcting the gum line can completely transform the smile's appearance. To find out if laser gum reshaping is right for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. Nordus today.