Treating Stubborn Cases of Bad Breath
By Byron J Nordhus D.D.S. on December 12, 2015
Bad breath can affect a person’s confidence and make them feel self conscious when talking to others. Some people are lucky enough to deal with bad breath only on rare occasions, and in these instances a breath mint or piece of gum may take care of the problem. But for many others, bad breath is a frequent concern. Persistent bad breath, also known as halitosis, is often the sign of an underlying problem that requires more serious attention. General dentistry services that help to maintain good oral health can prevent bad breath, and they can also be useful in diagnosing the most likely source of stubborn bad breath. Dr. Byron J. Nordhus offers bad breath treatment to his Wichita, KS patients so that they don’t have to worry about unpleasant breath.
What Causes Bad Breath?
To effectively treat bad breath, it is first important to determine the cause of bad breath. There are several possible causes of bad breath. While occasional cases of bad breath are often caused by the consumption of fragrant foods or beverages, this is rarely the cause of halitosis. Instead, persistent cases of bad breath are more likely to be caused by one of the following:
- Bad oral hygiene habits
- Tooth decay
- Root canal infection
- Gingivitis or gum disease
- Certain illnesses or the use of certain medications
Bad Breath Treatments
Because many of the causes of bad breath are related to oral hygiene or oral health, an experienced dentist such as Dr. Nordhus can successfully diagnose and treat most cases of halitosis. The treatment that will prove most effective for patients will be dependent on what is causing bad breath. Below are some of the dental treatments that may be helpful in restoring fresh breath for patients:
- General dentistry services: General dentistry services can be beneficial in treating cases of bad breath that are caused by poor oral hygiene. Regular dental exams and cleanings help to keep the teeth and gums free of bacteria, plaque, and tartar that can cause bad breath and lead to other dental problems. Additionally, through general dentistry appointments, patients can learn the proper techniques for caring for their oral health at home.
- Restorative dentistry services: If decay or infection is the cause of bad breath, restorative dental care will be necessary. By cleaning away damaged tooth enamel and restoring it with strong dental restorations, such as dental fillings, inlays and onlays, or dental crowns, Dr. Nordhus can help patients eliminate the source of bad breath. A root canal infection can also be treated to restore the health of the inner tooth.
- Periodontal care: Gum disease is often the cause of bad breath. As bacteria builds up beneath the gums, inflammation and infection can occur. With periodontal treatment, Dr. Nordhus can treat infection, restore the health of the gums, and eliminate bad breath that was caused by this type of infection.
If you find yourself battling bad breath, there may be a dental complication that is at the source of the problem. A simple dental exam with Dr. Byron J. Nordhus can help you pinpoint the cause of bad breath and come up with an appropriate treatment plan. Contact us at your earliest convenience to learn how you can restore freshness to your breath.
Related to This
“Dr. Nordhus and the whole team are simply amazing. Humble, professional, and always a delight to work with. Highly recommend.” Derek W.