Enjoy a Gorgeous Smile with Treatment for Overlapping Teeth
By Byron J Nordhus D.D.S. on September 19, 2017
When one or more teeth overlap, it can impact the smile and self-esteem. Whether inherited or acquired from habits, like prolonged thumb sucking during childhood, overlapping teeth can be treated. At Nordhus Dentistry, we provide the latest treatments in cosmetic dentistry to transform the smile and correct a wide range of dental flaws, including overlapping teeth. To find out if treatment for overlapping teeth is right for you, contact Wichita, KS cosmetic dentist Byron J. Nordhus.
Why Treat Overlapping Teeth?
Treating overlapping teeth can straighten the teeth, transforming the appearance of the smile. Of course, one of the biggest reasons for treating overlapping teeth is aesthetics, but there are also health reasons to consider, such as:
- Increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease: When teeth overlap, it can make it difficult to properly clean them, leaving behind plaque, bacteria, and food debris. This is why areas where the teeth overlap are most prone to tooth decay and gum disease. Eliminating overlap makes it easier to thoroughly clean the teeth, reducing the risk of oral health problems.
- Can cause alignment issues: Overlapping teeth can lead to the teeth improperly meeting when a person opens and closes his or her mouth, causing bite alignment issues. Alignment problems can make it uncomfortable to chew or bite, cause speech problems, or lead to biting of the tongue or inner cheek. In some cases, alignment issues may be severe enough to strain the jaw, leading to jaw pain, regular headaches, and neck or ear pain.
Treatment Options for Overlapping Teeth
Fortunately, overlapping teeth may be corrected with professional dental treatment. Popular treatments for correcting the appearance of overlapping teeth include:
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers are a cosmetic dentistry treatment that may be used to improve the appearance of mildly overlapping teeth in as little as two dental appointments. Porcelain veneers treatment achieves this with the use of wafer thin, tooth-shaped shells that fit over the front surface of the teeth, effectively transforming the shape, size, and alignment of aesthetically flawed teeth.
- Invisalign®: For those with mild to moderate overlap, the Invisalign® orthodontic system may be the right option for enhancing the smile. Invisalign® can straighten overlapping teeth without the use of metal braces, making it a popular treatment for teens and adults. Invisalign® uses a series of clear trays to gently and discreetly improve the alignment of the teeth.
- Traditional orthodontics: Teeth that are severely overlapped or have additional alignment issues may not be suitable candidates for porcelain veneers or Invisalign®. In such cases, traditional orthodontics may provide the most effective solution. Through the attachment of metal braces to the teeth, traditional orthodontics gradually shifts the position of the teeth and reshapes the jaw. This allows even the most severely overlapped teeth and alignment issues to be corrected for beautiful, straight teeth.
Find out Which Treatment Is Right for You
If you are unhappy with the appearance of one or more overlapping teeth, treatment from Dr. Nordhus can help. To find out which treatment is right for your needs, we welcome you to schedule a consultation today.
Related to This
“Dr. Nordhus and the whole team are simply amazing. Humble, professional, and always a delight to work with. Highly recommend.” Derek W.