Repair Your Smile with Inlays and Onlays Treatment
By Byron J Nordhus D.D.S. on October 13, 2015
With inlays and onlays treatment, mild to moderate dental damage can be repaired to reveal a beautiful, healthy smile. Inlays and onlays are just one type of restorative dentistry treatment available. Wichita dentist Byron J. Nordhus offers a variety of restorative dentistry treatments to correct dental damage and restore the smile's appearance. For more information about restorative dentistry treatments, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nordhus. In the meantime, read on to learn more about inlays and onlays treatment.
What Are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are dental restorations used when damage is too severe for regular dental fillings but not so severe as to require dental crowns. Inlays and onlays are most commonly made of tooth-colored materials, including porcelain, though they may be crafted from gold. Tooth-colored inlays and onlays allow for a seamless, unnoticeable restoration of dental damage.
- Inlays: Inlays are used to treat less severe damage than onlays. Inlays are designed to repair decay within the cusps of the teeth. They may also be used to replace old metal fillings.
- Onlays: Onlays are used when damage is more severe, usually extending beyond one or more cusps. Onlays are particularly useful for repairing damage that is too severe for a traditional dental filling or inlay, but not severe enough to require a dental crown.
The Inlays and Onlays Treatment Process
Inlays and onlays are custom-made restorations, providing a fit and appearance unique to each patient's needs. The treatment process for inlays and onlays generally requires two dental visits. During the first visit, impressions are taken of the teeth. Dr. Nordhus uses the iTero™ intraoral scanner, which allows him to take precise digital impressions without the need for messy traditional impressions. These impressions are then used to craft each inlay or onlay to exacting specifications. Once the restorations are complete, a final dental visit will be needed to secure the finished inlay or onlay with durable dental cement.
What Are the Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays offer many benefits for your oral health and appearance. Inlays and onlays can be used to correct dental damage while restoring the appearance and function of damaged teeth. Some of the many benefits of inlays and onlays treatment include:
- Prevent further dental damage: Untreated dental damage can lead to major issues, such as severe tooth decay, root canal infections, and even tooth loss. Inlays and onlays can be used to treat dental damage and prevent it from becoming worse.
- Restore oral health: Inlays and onlays are highly effective in treating tooth decay and dental fractures to restore oral health.
- Restore dental function: Inlays and onlays help restore dental function by repairing tooth decay and broken teeth.
- Improved appearance: Tooth-colored inlays and onlays blend with the surrounding teeth to create a seamless, unnoticeable finish.
Schedule a Consultation
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Nordhus today to find out if inlays and onlays treatment is right for you. We look forward to meeting with you!
Related to This
“Dr. Nordhus and the whole team are simply amazing. Humble, professional, and always a delight to work with. Highly recommend.” Derek W.