Reasons to Be Chipper: Treatments for Chipped Teeth
Tagged with: Restorative Dentistry | Dental Crowns | Dental Bonding |
When a tooth is chipped, it represents more than just a cosmetic flaw. Whenever a tooth is structurally compromised, the risk of the tooth being lost at some point in the future increases significantly. A chipped tooth is also weaker than a tooth that is intact, its function restricted in ways that a person might not even realize. And, of course, a chipped tooth does pose cosmetic concerns. Ultimately, there are many good reasons to seek out restorative dentistry treatments for chipped teeth.
Dr. Byron Nordhus offers a comprehensive range of treatment options for chipped teeth at his Wichita, KS cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry practice. After evaluating your chipped tooth or teeth, he will recommend the most conservative course of treatment available that he feels will yield the best possible results in your unique case. During your consultation, he will take the time to answer any questions you have and address all of your concerns. In the end, you will emerge from treatment with your smile once again whole and your oral health in optimal condition.
If you have one or more chipped teeth, we encourage you to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Byron Nordhus at Nordhus Dentistry today.
How Does Dr. Nordhus Treat Chipped Teeth?
All treatments begin with a thorough oral exam. Before Dr. Nordhus can recommend a definitive treatment plan, he must first assess the condition of the teeth and determine how the chips have affected the structural integrity of each affected tooth. There are multiple treatment options available, some of which are primarily cosmetic in nature, and others that are more restorative in their scope. Your treatment plan will depend on how many teeth are chipped and the nature of those chips.
Available treatments for chipped teeth include:
- Tooth-colored fillings: For relatively minor chips, tooth-colored fillings may be sufficient, especially for chipped premolars and molars. These aesthetically pleasing alternatives to silver amalgam fillings are mercury free and extremely durable.
- Ceramic inlays and onlays: For posterior teeth affected by larger chips, the missing tooth material can be replaced with customized ceramic inlays and onlays bonded directly to the teeth.
- Dental bonding: To treat chips in the more visible, front-facing teeth, Dr. Nordhus can apply a composite resin material in a procedure known as dental bonding. When this material hardens, it blends inconspicuously in with surrounding natural teeth.
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers are custom-crafted ceramic restorations that are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth that are chipped or otherwise cosmetically flawed. Although more expensive than dental bonding, porcelain veneers represent the most natural-looking and aesthetically appealing solution to chips in the front teeth.
- Dental crowns: For severely chipped teeth, dental crowns can be crafted to cover the entire surface area of the tooth above the gum line. Crowns not only restore form, function, and strength to a damaged tooth, but also help to protect it from further harm.
Learn More about Treatments for Chipped Teeth
To learn more about treatments for chipped teeth, please contact Nordhus Dentistry today.